Red & sweet goodness

Red & sweet goodness
Fresh, handpicked strawberries

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Protein packed pancrepes


Recently I’ve started paying more attention to how much protein I’m eating and wanted to start adding a little bit more to my diet. My breakfast is still usually oatmeal, but nowadays I add some hempseed to give me some extra protein, omega-3 and iron. I do also like to indulge in crepes every now and then, and decided to make some, but with a protein punch. My creation: protein packed pancrepes!




2 cups of Ripple (or any other milk)
1 egg
½ scoop of protein powder (I used a vegan one)
¼ cup whole grain barley flour
¼ cup oats/oat bran
¼ cup whole grain spelt flour
Dash of salt

The batter is simple to make: I mixed the eggs and the milk and then added the flour, protein powder and salt and stirred until smooth. I used coconut oil to make them in a cast iron pan in the hope of getting a bit more iron into my food. Note to self: make sure the pan is well greased or else the batter will get stuck BAD. I managed to get the fourth crepe actually to look like a crepe and not scrambled eggs!

To be honest, the pancrepes tasted a little bland without any toppings, but with some cream cheese and jam they tasted surprisingly good. This is nice as I’d much rather eat pancakes/crepes with fiber, protein and other nutrients than just calories. Cream cheese you may wonder? I once tried a recipe that used cream cheese and berries for a filling of a wrap and noticed how nice cream cheese can taste with some added sweetening. I recommend trying it as a substitute for whipped cream.

Nutrition facts: one crepe ended up containing about a 100 kcal, 7 g protein, and 1.5 g fiber. A teaspoon of coconut oil for frying adds 50kcal per pancrepe. So one crepe ended up having the same amount of protein as one egg! I did not count in the toppings, so the calories can really add up. Better be mindful about that… or take it easy the rest of the day.

Thanks for reading! Let me know if you have some cool crepe/pancake topping ideas that pack a nutrition punch!

Anna-Kaisa



No comments:

Post a Comment